COLUMBUS, Ohio — The FBI says a man will plead guilty in federal court Monday to emailing a false threat about bombs placed at Ohio State University last year that prompted the school to close four buildings and three streets.
Jonathan Birkemeyer was accused in a criminal complaint last month of sending a fake email to the FBI on Nov. 16 indicating he’d found a map showing the location of nine bombs on the campus.
No bombs were found but the threat disrupted campus life for hundreds of students, staff and faculty.
A May 27 plea agreement also says Birkemeyer has been indicted in Franklin County with burglary and receiving stolen property related to stolen computer equipment used to send the email.
A message was left with Birkemeyer’s lawyer Monday seeking comment.
Guidelines: Please keep your comments smart and civil. Don't attack other readers personally, and keep your language decent. Comments that violate these standards, or our privacy statement or visitor's agreement, are subject to being removed and commenters are subject to being banned. To post comments, you must be a registered user on toledoblade.com. To find out more, please visit the FAQ.