THE BLADE/LISA DUTTON Enlarge | Buy This Photo
Federal prosecutors convicted 26 people in 2011 for gun-related crimes committed in Toledo, authorities said Monday morning at a news conference.
Last year’s prosecutions are the highest prosecution rate of federal gun crimes in Toledo. In 2010, 16 cases were successfully convicted.
This year, six cases have already been sent to federal prosecutors, said Dave Bauer, of the U.S. Attorney’s Office.
Last year, the partnership between the Toledo Police Department and federal prosecutors, called “Project Save Neighborhoods” was “stepped up because of an increase in crime,” Mr. Bauer said.
Any gun case forwarded to federal prosecutors indicates that the defendant has a prior criminal history and has been convicted of at least three violent offenses in the past.
Federal prosecution also means more time in prison, no parole, and time served could likely be out-of-state, said Special Agent Kyle Walton, of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms.
Mr. Bauer noted five prosecutions from 2011 that landed the individuals in prison for sentences ranging from seven years to 22 years.
Toledo police Chief Derrick Diggs said he would roll out additional initiatives and programs this year to combat violence, but declined to elaborate.
He said the Crime Suppression Unit, formerly the Gun Task Force, which was implemented under former Chief Mike Navarre in late June, will continue this year.