Monday, Sep 25, 2017
One of America's Great Newspapers ~ Toledo, Ohio

Courts

Toledo brothers charged with murder of friend in June death

  • CTY-pickles30p-2

    Brothers Rashawn Pickle, left, and Paul Pickle, right, leave their arraignment in Judge Dean Mandros' courtroom at Lucas County Common Pleas on June 30.

    The Blade/Amy E. Voigt
    Buy This Image

  • CTY-pickles30p-3

    Brothers Rashawn Pickle, left, and Paul Pickle, right, during their arraignment in Judge Dean Mandros' courtroom at Lucas County Common Pleas on June 30, 2017.

    The Blade/Amy E. Voigt
    Buy This Image

Two brothers who reportedly came to help a friend when he got into a fight were arraigned Monday on a new charge: the murder of their friend.

Paul Pickle, Jr., 26, and Rashawn Pickle, 25, both of the 1100 block of Upton Avenue, were indicted by a Lucas County grand jury Sept. 1 for murder and participating in a criminal gang. This was in addition to their original charges of felonious assault, discharge of a firearm over a road or highway, and improperly discharging a firearm into a habitation.

Lucas County Common Pleas Judge Dean Mandros set both of the Pickles' cases for trial Oct. 16.

The charges stem from the June 10 shooting death of Kidon McCalebb, 21, at a house in the 1100 block of Montrose Avenue. The victim allegedly fought with Travon Smith, 24, and called the Pickles to come to his aid.

Prosecutors said that when the Pickles arrived, they began firing shots at Mr. Smith, who ran into the house and returned fire, striking Mr. McCalebb in the back.

Jeff Lingo, chief of the criminal division for the Lucas County Prosecutor's Office, said the Pickles now are charged with murder because they started firing their guns, which led to the victim's death.

“Had they not done that, we're arguing the friend would not have been killed,” he said.

The case is similar to one brought in 2015 against Deshawn Cunningham and Jake Newman, who were indicted for murder in the death of their friend, Keshawn Groom, at the Spigot Tavern. Mr. Groom had been kicked out of the bar, and Cunningham unlocked the door allowing him to enter with a gun that Mr. Newman allegedly gave to him.

A jury subsequently acquitted Cunningham of murder but found him guilty of two counts of felonious assault for the wounding of the bar owner and his wife. Mr. Newman, who was on the run for 18 months, is currently scheduled for trial Sept. 26 for murder and two counts of felonious assault.

Contact Jennifer Feehan at jfeehan@theblade.com or 419-213-2134.

Click to comment

Quis autem vel eum iure reprehenderit qui in ea voluptate velit esse quam nihil molestiae consequatur, vel illum qui dolorem?

Temporibus autem quibusdam et aut officiis debitis aut rerum necessitatibus saepe eveniet.

Copyright © 2015 Toledo Blade

To Top

Fetching stories…