Loading…
Saturday, December 27, 2014
Current Weather
Loading Current Weather....
Published: Wednesday, 10/10/2001

Boiler problem closes high school in Hudson

HUDSON, Mich. - Hudson Area Schools officials canceled classes yesterday because of a problem with the high school's newly installed boiler system.

The problem was the result of a bad connection that caused a chemical additive used in the boiler to leak into the kitchen's water system.

The water was being tested and will not be used for drinking or food preparation until it is proven to be safe, school officials said. Until then, bottled water will be provided.

The Michigan Department of Environmental Quality, the Lenawee County health department, the city of Hudson, and the boiler contractor were at the school yesterday to assess and fix the problem.

School officials were told that the boiler additive contains propylene glycol, a substance often used by the chemical, food, and pharmaceutical industries.



Guidelines: Please keep your comments smart and civil. Don't attack other readers personally, and keep your language decent. If a comment violates these standards or our privacy statement or visitor's agreement, click the "X" in the upper right corner of the comment box to report abuse. To post comments, you must be a Facebook member. To find out more, please visit the FAQ.