Wednesday, May 25, 2016
Current Weather
Loading Current Weather....
Published: Monday, 10/29/2001

Levy would pay for new K-12 school in Holgate

HOLGATE - With an eye toward a new school for all students in the district, voters will be asked to ante up an additional 6.7 mills of property tax on Nov. 6.

The levy, if passed, will raise about $3 million to pay the Holgate Local School District's share of constructing a new school building for 595 students in grades K-12.

In a show of optimism, the district just announced the purchase of a 50-acre building site on the east side of town for about $290,000.

"We have reason to think it will pass.

"This community has really rallied behind us and we've seen no strong opposition at all," Superintendent Terry McDowell said.

Holgate voters overwhelmingly passed a 2.5-mill operating levy in the last election.

"That's the kind of support we get from this community,'' Mr. McDowell said.

A campaign committee of 67 people, headed by Gary and Debra Jones of New Bavaria, has been "extremely active," Mr. McDowell said.

The Holgate district takes in New Bavaria and Pleasant Bend.

The Ohio Classroom Facilities Assistance Program will pay 82 percent of the new-building cost. The district must pay the remaining 18 percent.

The local district must buy land on its own and account for maintenance, Mr. McDowell said.

"The state will give us $12.6 million and our share plus the land cost makes it a $15.7-million project," he said.

A taxpayer with a home valued at $100,000 would pay $234.50 annually if the levy is passed.

Planning and construction would take three years, with students occupying a new building in August, 2004, the superintendent said.

Recommended for You

Guidelines: Please keep your comments smart and civil. Don't attack other readers personally, and keep your language decent. If a comment violates these standards or our privacy statement or visitor's agreement, click the "X" in the upper right corner of the comment box to report abuse. To post comments, you must be a Facebook member. To find out more, please visit the FAQ.

Points of Interest