In response to the defeat May 4 of a 3.9-mill, five-year operating levy, the Springfield Local Board of Education on Wednesday night directed the administration to make $1.5 million in cuts.
Most of the money to be saved will be through staff reductions — some through attrition, but “some of it ultimately will be through layoffs,” district Treasurer Bob Moellenberg said. The number of layoffs can't be known until the district learns who plans to retire, he said.
“These cuts will be in place for the beginning of the next school year,” Mr. Moellenberg said. “The board is understandably upset when they have to go through and effectively dismantle programs. It's frustrating, with our academic excellence, to take things apart one piece at a time. We're going to do everything we can to provide the best education to every kid in the district.”
The board last night approved the superintendent's recommendation that the contracts of seven teachers be suspended for next school year. That was the final step to carry out cuts approved earlier this year.
Guidelines: Please keep your comments smart and civil. Don't attack other readers personally, and keep your language decent. Comments that violate these standards, or our privacy statement or visitor's agreement, are subject to being removed and commenters are subject to being banned. To post comments, you must be a registered user on toledoblade.com. To find out more, please visit the FAQ.