Like a crowded race entering its final turn, the teams in The Blade's annual School Stock Contest have begun to separate themselves into two groups — those that have the horsepower to make a race of it and those still searching for that extra gear.
The top three teams held on to their respective positions in week 8 of the 12-week contest, with leader "TEAM BG" putting extra distance between itself and its two closest competitors, "JBNcrew" and "stocker," heading into the final month.
TEAM BG, a group of Bowling Green High School junior and senior economics students taught by Terry Mulgrew, had 2.6 percent growth in its imaginary portfolio last week, to $47,438. The week was the fifth consecutively for the team to hold onto the lead.
Its holdings consist of Internet tech firm Akamai Technologies Inc., energy companies SandRidge Energy and Noble Energy, and Columbus-based financial firm Huntington Bancshares.
JBNcrew, from Anthony Wayne Junior High School in Whitehouse, had 1.9 percent growth in its portfolio for the week to $46,022, and stocker, from Christ the King elementary school, in Toledo picked up 1.8 percent to finish at $45,756.
A total of 106 teams from 30 schools in northwest Ohio and southeast Michigan are in the contest, and last week 48 of them had portfolios in the black.
The University of Toledo, a contest co-sponsor, is tabulating the weekly results. The contest began Feb. 4 and ends at market's close April 29.
Each team chose four stocks, worth at least $5 a share, for a hypothetical $40,000 portfolio that was initially divided evenly among the four choices. The team whose portfolio grows the most at the contest's end wins $250 for the school and $250 for the team. Second place gets $250 for the school, and third place gets $100.
All but 12 teams had increases in the value of their holdings last week, with some picking up as much as 15 percent. Steve Sherline, regional investment advisers chief at Fifth Third Bank, which is co-sponsoring the contest with The Blade's Newspaper in Education program, said the widely rising stock market tended to lift almost all the teams.
"It was a very positive market week. I think there's a recession of some of the fears out there, and then we had a positive jobs report on Friday," Mr. Sherline said, noting the widespread gains among teams.
Contact Larry P. Vellequette at email@example.com or 419-724-6091.
1. TEAM BG, Bowling Green High, $47,437.58
2. JBNcrew, Anthony Wayne Jr., Whitehouse, $46,021.66
3. stocker, Christ the King, Toledo, $45,756.47
4. LOL, Hicksville Elementary, $45,522.11
5. MNYmart, Luckey Elementary, $44,871.24
6. M3GUSTA, Rossford Jr., $44,866.32
7. Martian, Whiteford Agricultural, Ottawa Lake, $44,357.30
8. Random1, Rossford Jr., $44,114.32
9. PAY UP, Luckey Elementary, $44,035.66
10. Rebels, St. John the Baptist, Toledo, $43,190.63
11. Fluffy6, Hicksville Middle, $43,177.49
12. Won Tons, Sylvania Franciscan Academy, $42,997.54
13. Spakes, St. Pius X, Toledo, $42,834.06
14. Hawks, Maumee Valley Country Day, Toledo, $42,824.55
66. Profit, Horizons Program TPS, Toledo, $40,252.12
67. Duenos, East Broadway Middle, Toledo, $40,140.79
68. Chiefs1, East Broadway Middle, Toledo, $40,100.85
69. TEAM JO, Bowling Green High, $40,098.26
70. King Marketers, Fostoria Jr., $40,027.90
71. YoMamma, Rossford Jr., $40,009.44
72. Team711, Park Elementary, Swanton, $40,008.83
73. Pickl3s, Bowling Green High, $40,008.66
74. GetSome, Christ the King, Toledo, $39,986.41
75. 8 Bills, Luckey Elementary, $39,926.34
76. SHAMWOW, Whiteford Agricultural, Ottawa Lake, $39,835.39
77. StoxRox, Pike Delta York Middle, Delta, $39,806.01
78. STOCKER, Bowling Green High, $39,806.01
79. gotCASH, St. Joan of Arc Catholic, Toledo, $39,717.08
80. Dinaco, North Point ESC, Genoa, $39,629.12
81. rougewaves, Maritime Academy of Toledo, $39,521.44
82. KaXing, Pike Delta York Middle, Delta, $39,490.44
83. Winnerz, Rossford Jr., $39,406.88
84. Ckooka Marketros, Fostoria Jr., $39,336.18
85. BAMotos, Bowling Green High, $39,246.96
86. MVClass, Christ the King, Toledo, $39,150.75
87. BAGFED, North Point ESC, Genoa, $39,080.97
88. Rockets, Park Elementary, Swanton, $38,993.40
89. DMStox, Pike Delta York Middle, Delta, $38,971.22
90. TeamPan, Whitmer High, Toledo, $38,926.48
91. Loserz, Rossford Jr., $38,890.51
92. Stars, Park Elementary, Swanton, $38,815.12
93. Octopus, Rossford Jr., $38,754.32
94. WHTFSU, Whiteford Agricultural, Ottawa Lake, $38,676.57
95. SUNNYD, Bowling Green High, $38,519.86
96. Schwabs, Rossford Jr., $38,510.73
97. Mariners, Maritime Academy of Toledo, $38,479.82
98. South Side, Fostoria Jr., $38,373.35
99. TheTop, Anthony Wayne Jr., Whitehouse, $38,345.28
100. BGCALP2, Bowling Green Christian Academy, $37,848.68
101. Cash11, North Point ESC, Genoa, $37,757.23
102. Schooners, Maritime Academy of Toledo, $37,462.16
103. SALTY06, Rossford Jr., Rossford, $37,253.21
104. CarLOs, Bowling Green High, $37,048.11
105. Stockrz, Pike Delta York Middle, Delta, $33,866.28
106. BGHS72, Bowling Green High, $32,709.77
Guidelines: Please keep your comments smart and civil. Don't attack other readers personally, and keep your language decent. If a comment violates these standards or our privacy statement or visitor's agreement, click the "X" in the upper right corner of the comment box to report abuse. To post comments, you must be a Facebook member. To find out more, please visit the FAQ.
Copyright 2013 The Blade. All rights reserved. This material may not be copied or distributed without permission.
Copyright 2013 The Blade. By using this service, you accept the terms of our privacy statement
and our visitor agreement. Please read them. The Toledo Blade Company, 541 N. Superior St.,
Toledo, OH 43660, (419) 724-6000
To contact a specific
department or an individual person, click here. The Toledo Times ®