Thursday, November 26, 2015
Current Weather
Loading Current Weather....
Published: Saturday, 3/1/2003

AW's Metcalf, Waite's Johnson lose in semis

Anthony Wayne's Caleb Metcalf, bottom, tries to get control of Olmsted Falls' Ryan Smith in the semifinals. Metcalf lost 8-4. Anthony Wayne's Caleb Metcalf, bottom, tries to get control of Olmsted Falls' Ryan Smith in the semifinals. Metcalf lost 8-4.

COLUMBUS - Anthony Wayne's Caleb Metcalf and Waite's Josh Johnson came very close to Division I state wrestling championships.

But after quarterfinal wins yesterday, they both lost in the semifinals at Value City Arena and now join Waite's Antonio Guerra, St. Francis de Sales' Brad Marzec and Whitmer's Dan Gurney, who are all also guaranteed at least a place showing.

Metcalf, a 112-pound senior, scored a 2-1 win in the quarterfinals before coming out on the short end of an 8-4 decision by Olmsted Falls' Ryan Smith, who finished second at state last year and third the year before.

The match was tied 4-4 after two periods but Smith (40-1) scored a pair of reversals.

“I gave it all and was trying to get a reversal - I just didn't get it,” said Metcalf (35-3). “I wrestled tough but there's nothing I can do now.

“I just have to worry about my next match. I'll go out and get the next guy.”

Johnson, the projected 171 champ, just couldn't seem to make anything happen in an 11-1 major decision taken by a taller Mike Grogan of North Canton Hoover (37-3).

But the three area wrestlers in the consolation bracket could do little wrong.

Guerra (38-3), won two more matches at 140 yesterday, 3-2 over Eric Lakia of Painesville Riverside and 9-4 over Elliot Spence of Cincinnati Elder.

Guerra lost in the first round to two-time state placer Charlie Agozzino of Lakewood St. Edward, who will go for the championship today.

“I can't afford to show mercy,” Guerra said. “It's never good to lose.''

“His first match was real tough. I think he's starting to turn it on,” Waite assistant coach Terry Reeves said.

Marzec (145) won 5-3 over Cincinnati Xavier's Lee Carraher and 10-5 over Cincinnati Oak Hills' Mike Schille yesterday.

“I lost my first match but I desired to come back and I did,” said Marzec, a junior who improved to 38-4 with his third consolation win at 145 pounds and now has 105 career wins.

“He's wrestling as well as we've seen all year right now,” said coach Carl Janke. “That first loss is always tough to come back from.

“But he's won three in a row and he's placed now. He's wrestling very well.''

Gurney (42-2) won 9-3 over Centerville's Vince Mauro and 7-3 over West Chester Lakota's Andrew Monk. Like the others, he could place third with two more victories at 152.

Andrew Legg of Fremont Ross, who placed fifth last year at 171, lost a heartbreaker, 6-4 in overtime, to Lakewood St. Edward's Ryan Atkins in the second consolation round and fell out of the tournament.

As expected, Lakewood St. Edward has mathematically wrapped up its seventh straight Division I team title. St. Ed's already had 151.5 points to Massillon Perry's 82.

Recommended for You

Guidelines: Please keep your comments smart and civil. Don't attack other readers personally, and keep your language decent. If a comment violates these standards or our privacy statement or visitor's agreement, click the "X" in the upper right corner of the comment box to report abuse. To post comments, you must be a Facebook member. To find out more, please visit the FAQ.

Points of Interest