With just a few quick and affordable changes to your decor, you can transform your home into a calming and restful place to spend the summer.
(ARA) - Summer is a time to take long weekends, enjoy the pleasant weather and make new memories with family and friends. It's also a time to take a moment for yourself and find ways to savor that relaxing vacation feeling.
With just a few quick and affordable changes to your decor, you can transform your home into a calming and restful place to spend the summer:
* Roll up the rugs and clean and store them for the summer
* Put light-colored canvas slipcovers on dark upholstered furniture
* Change throw pillows to summery patterns/colors
* Put away knick-knacks for a lighter, more minimalist feeling
* Place wickless candles in living areas to add a fresh, summer scent without the heat and open flame of traditional candles
"Summer scents allow us to draw upon wonderful memories and emotions, like the first time you dipped your toes in the ocean and felt the sand, or the smell of wonderful summer desserts like peach cobbler being served at a picnic," says Heidi Thompson, co-owner of Scentsy, a maker of wickless candles. "Your home should be your retreat, and with different summer scents, every day can feel like a summer vacation."
Some scents that evoke a summer feel according to Thompson are:
* A light floral fragrance is great way to keep your home smelling fresh and clean every day.
* A citrusy scent that features hints of oranges, lemons, limes and grapefruit helps bring a tropical feel to any living room, even in the most humid environments.
* The scent of a fruity tart treat fills your home with fragrance without the added calories or need to turn on the hot oven.
In just a few minutes and for just a few dollars, you can create a summer retreat at home. Now sit back, relax and let your worries disappear as you enjoy a tall, cool drink and an exciting new novel. Courtesy of ARAcontent
Guidelines: Please keep your comments smart and civil. Don't attack other readers personally, and keep your language decent. Comments that violate these standards, or our privacy statement or visitor's agreement, are subject to being removed and commenters are subject to being banned. To post comments, you must be a registered user on toledoblade.com. To find out more, please visit the FAQ.