Loading…
Sunday, September 21, 2014
Current Weather
Loading Current Weather....
Published: Sunday, 11/12/2000 - Updated: 1 year ago

Monroe fire damages 2 vehicles, house, garage

MONROE - A garage, two vehicles, and numerous tools burned and the vinyl siding on a neighboring house melted on Custer Street here yesterday morning after a fire was accidentally started by a man who was working on a vehicle.

Larry David Black, of 502 Conant Ave., was trying to put a pan underneath a vehicle from which gas was leaking when the bulb in his trouble light broke, igniting the gas that had already spilled, according to the Monroe fire department. He is a friend of Melvin Henson who owns the one-vehicle garage at 920 Custer St.

The fire, reported at 9:20 a.m., melted the siding on Carlos Ruvalcaba's house at 916 Custer, the fire department said. A vehicle parked outside the garage also was damaged.



Guidelines: Please keep your comments smart and civil. Don't attack other readers personally, and keep your language decent. If a comment violates these standards or our privacy statement or visitor's agreement, click the "X" in the upper right corner of the comment box to report abuse. To post comments, you must be a Facebook member. To find out more, please visit the FAQ.