LANSING - The Michigan Parade has been scratched for a second straight year.
Last year's event was called off because of a lack of funding and construction in downtown Lansing. This year's parade, which had been scheduled for May 17, is strictly a victim of the sour economy.
Parade chairman Calvin Jones said institutions that supported the parade in the past are finding it tougher to do so. He told the Lansing State Journal he was able to raise only a fraction of the $20,000 needed.
The parade once drew nearly 100 entries including bands from the Upper Peninsula.
Guidelines: Please keep your comments smart and civil. Don't attack other readers personally, and keep your language decent. Comments that violate these standards, or our privacy statement or visitor's agreement, are subject to being removed and commenters are subject to being banned. To post comments, you must be a registered user on toledoblade.com. To find out more, please visit the FAQ.