LAS VEGAS Six young people were shot Tuesday after they stepped off a bus that had left a high school, with at least one critically hurt, in an attack just blocks from two elementary schools, authorities said.
Gunshots tore through the working class residential neighborhood in northeast Las Vegas just before 2 p.m., Officer Bill Cassell said.
Police were not saying whether the suspects were on foot or in a vehicle, but at least two people are believed to have taken part, he said. Cassell said the police gang unit is investigating, though it wasn t clear whether gangs were involved.
One of the victims, a man, was in critical condition and a teenage boy was in serious condition, both with gunshots to the torso, University Medical Center spokeswoman Cheryl Persinger said.
Four people had minor gunshot injuries to their arms and legs, including a man who was released. Three teens two boys and a girl were in good condition, she said.
The school bus had left from Mojave High School, Clark County School District spokesman Michael Rodriguez said. The school was expected to open Wednesday with extra security measures and support services, he said.
The shooting occurred a couple of blocks from two elementary schools. Rodriguez said both were locked down temporarily but were reopened before 3 p.m.
Mojave had some 2,300 students last year, about evenly divided among blacks, whites and Hispanics, according to district materials.
Archie Gorai, 22, who lives about a block from the site of the shooting, said he heard about eight gunshots while he was wrapping Christmas presents at his home.
Read more in later editions of The Blade and toledoblade.com