BOHEMIA, N.Y. — Two teenagers extensively researched bomb making, attempted to buy a shotgun, and even set a date for a deadly attack on students and teachers at the high school where one of them had been a student, police said Friday.
A 17-year-old former Connetquot High School student and his 16-year-old girlfriend were arrested on conspiracy charges after authorities uncovered their plans to attack the school, Suffolk County police said.
The boy pleaded not guilty at his arraignment Friday, while his girlfriend entered a not-guilty plea last week.
Both are being charged as adults and could face up to a year in jail if convicted.
Both teenagers tried to buy a shotgun but were turned away because neither was 18, said Suffolk County police Deputy Inspector Michael Shanahan. They were waiting for the boy's birthday on June 8 to return.
“They were going to go back on June 8 and buy one and return on June 9 for another one and carry out the attack on June 10,” Inspector Shanahan said.
Evidence from the girl's computer and cell phone showed they had searched bomb-making and explosives websites, and exchanged text messages in which they discussed plans to buy guns and kill people, police said.
The boy left Connetquot High and graduated from a special-education program where he met the girl, who is still a student.
She was released without bail; the boy will be held in jail until his court date June 8.
Calls to the Legal Aid Society of Suffolk County, which is representing them, went unanswered Friday night. Calls to phone numbers listed under the teenagers' addresses yielded no response.
Guidelines: Please keep your comments smart and civil. Don't attack other readers personally, and keep your language decent. Comments that violate these standards, or our privacy statement or visitor's agreement, are subject to being removed and commenters are subject to being banned. To post comments, you must be a registered user on toledoblade.com. To find out more, please visit the FAQ.