Wednesday, Sep 19, 2018
One of America's Great Newspapers ~ Toledo, Ohio


After a week of terror, Bostonians resume lives


Boston Marathon volunteers stand beneath a giant flag on the outfield wall of Fenway Park during a tribute before a game between the Boston Red Sox and the Kansas City Royals on Saturday.


BOSTON — The proud but weary residents of this metropolitan area let out a collective exhale of relief and gratitude Saturday, marking the end of an intense week of terrifying events that shook this community to its core but never broke it.

And as people, families, and neighbors emerged from a frightful day of being locked indoors while swarms of public safety officers executed a historic manhunt on Friday, there was beauty in anything that seemed normal again.

“It’s nice just to be able to walk outside,” said Judith Carpenter, 57, who strolled under the blooming magnolia trees along Commonwealth Avenue in the city’s Back Bay neighborhood, just two streets away from the sight of Monday’s horrific twin bombings near the finish line of the Boston Marathon.

Since the explosions, which killed three people and injured more than 180 runners and spectators, through Friday’s terrifying lockdown and manhunt, which resulted in the capture of one suspect and the fatal shooting of the second, many residents of this region were finally able to pause Saturday and reflect on the extreme emotions they experienced all week.

“They say people here can be pretty tough, and I guess that’s true,” said Mario Garcia, 27, who came to Boston more than 10 years ago from his native Guatemala.

“But this was a really hard week, even for Boston. We weren’t sure how this was going to end.”

For many here, the 117th Boston Marathon didn’t really end until about 8:45 pm Friday, when police announced that the suspect they were seeking, 19-year-old Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, a Cambridge resident, was captured on a blood-stained boat sitting in a backyard in Watertown, a neighboring suburb.

The news — and the immediate sense of relief that swept across neighborhoods — sparked spontaneous and jubilant celebrations across the city. In a scene reminiscent of Monday’s race, cheering residents lined Mount Auburn Street in Watertown as exhausted but smiling law enforcement officers passed on foot or in armored vehicles.

Even later that evening, grateful residents streamed back into the streets of Boston. They ambled into open pubs, ready to lift a pint in memory of the victims of the week’s events and to toast those who had sacrificed for their safety.

After engaging in a last fierce gunfight with law enforcement agents before his capture, a seriously wounded Tsarnaev was taken to Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center in Boston. It was the same hospital where his older brother, Tamerlan Tsarnaev, 26, the other suspect, was pronounced dead early Friday after a gunbattle with authorities on the streets of Watertown.

Saturday morning, those same streets were again teeming with normal traffic, and Boston’s notoriously aggressive drivers were back on the road, though perhaps a little more relaxed. The areas where police had taken over for staging areas in front of Watertown’s Arsenal Mall again belonged to shoppers.

Three of Boston’s sports teams returned to normal play Saturday. The Bruins and the Red Sox — both of which had canceled games on Friday — resumed their seasons, and the Boston Celtics took on the Knicks in a playoff game in New York.

In a nod to the week’s tragic events, the Old Towne Team set aside its customary “Red Sox” home uniforms for special white jerseys that said, simply, “Boston.” Singer Neil Diamond showed up in person to lead fans in “Sweet Caroline,” the Fenway Park anthem.

Not everything was back to normal yet. The police barriers along Boylston Street, the final leg of the marathon course toward the Finish Line in Copley Square, were still up and a silent reminder of the week’s historic hurt. A slight dusting of the street could still be seen where the deadly explosions occurred, and a bright orange tent marked the site where investigators were still examining blast debris for evidence.

At the corner of Boylston and Hereford streets, solemn crowds paused before the candles, flowers, pictures, and signs of support that were placed on the ground in memory of the week’s victims, including new photos of Sean Collier, a 26-year-old MIT police officer allegedly killed by the suspects, and Richard Donohue, a transit officer who was wounded during the first gunfight. Some visitors were drawn to tears.

But nearly everywhere else across this region, people engaged in the mundane and the ordinary and seemed perfectly happy to be doing so. They walked dogs. They went out for brunch. They sat on the Boston Common.

Perhaps most fittingly, there appeared to be joggers everywhere, especially along both sides of the Charles River, which runs through many of the communities that a day earlier had been under a government-ordered lockdown.

Even after all of the pain, grief, and fright of the week, Boston is still a place where people love to run. It’s what helps them feel normal.

Richard Chacon is a former Boston Globe writer and editor.

Click to comment

Quis autem vel eum iure reprehenderit qui in ea voluptate velit esse quam nihil molestiae consequatur, vel illum qui dolorem?

Temporibus autem quibusdam et aut officiis debitis aut rerum necessitatibus saepe eveniet.

Copyright © 2018 Toledo Blade

To Top

Fetching stories…