CHICAGO — Chicago Police are investigating after a violent weekend left at least six people dead and more than three dozen wounded in a series of shootings.
The Chicago Sun-Times reported today that it was the most violent weekend of the year in the city.
Authorities say the first homicide of the weekend happened late Friday on the city’s West Side. The tally, which included at least 41 injuries, spanned Friday night through Sunday night.
The Cook County Medical Examiner’s office said early today that the youngest victim was 15-year-old Michael Westley, who died Sunday.
Chicago Police officials told the newspaper that more shootings took place during the same weekend last year and that there have been fewer murders so far in 2013 than any year since the mid-1960s.
Guidelines: Please keep your comments smart and civil. Don't attack other readers personally, and keep your language decent. Comments that violate these standards, or our privacy statement or visitor's agreement, are subject to being removed and commenters are subject to being banned. To post comments, you must be a registered user on toledoblade.com. To find out more, please visit the FAQ.