As director of the Olander Park System, Gary Madrzykowski says the key to his happiness is working a job he is passionate about. He has worked in the area for the past 14 years and has enjoyed giving “Career Day” talks to students, about how he loves his job as Park Director.
“If you hate what you're doing, get out of it,” he said. “It affects negatively everything you do.” Madrzykowski said he has worked very few days in 14 years, because most days don't feel like work at all.
Get to know Gary a little better:
1. What are your hobbies? Golf, softball, reading and working out.
2. What types of books do you like to read? History and autobiographies.
3. Last book you read? Truman, by David McCullough
4. Name your favorite Sylvania restaurant. Avenue Bistro.
5. What is your favorite Sylvania spot? Centennial Quarry and Terrace.
6. Why Sylvania? “What's not to love about Sylvania?”
7. What is your favorite vacation location? Fort Myers Beach, in December — warm weather, blue skies and frozen rum runners.
8. What is your favorite season? Summer.
9. What job would you do if you could do anything? Write history books.
10. What was your first job? Shelf-stocker at Best Products, which used to be on Secor Road.
Guidelines: Please keep your comments smart and civil. Don't attack other readers personally, and keep your language decent. Comments that violate these standards, or our privacy statement or visitor's agreement, are subject to being removed and commenters are subject to being banned. To post comments, you must be a registered user on toledoblade.com. To find out more, please visit the FAQ.