Loading…
Thursday, August 28, 2014
Current Weather
Loading Current Weather....
Published: Saturday, 11/25/2000 - Updated: 1 year ago

Boy's quick thinking helps Lima family escape fire

LIMA, O. - A family escaped its burning home without injury yesterday after an 11-year-old boy inside the house smelled smoke and awoke the other sleeping occupants.

Lima fire Chief Tony DePalma said the fire was reported shortly before midnight Thursday at 108 East Eighth St. in Lima. When firefighters arrived, homeowner Vivian Crisp and four of her family members were safely outside the dwelling. They told authorities Ms. Crisp's son, Aaron, a student at Whittier Elementary School, alerted them to the blaze.

The one-story house fire, which started from an electrical short from an extension cord to a space heater, caused $50,000 in damage. The home was a total loss.

The American Red Cross is housing the family at a local hotel.



Guidelines: Please keep your comments smart and civil. Don't attack other readers personally, and keep your language decent. If a comment violates these standards or our privacy statement or visitor's agreement, click the "X" in the upper right corner of the comment box to report abuse. To post comments, you must be a Facebook member. To find out more, please visit the FAQ.