Loading…
Thursday, October 23, 2014
Current Weather
Loading Current Weather....
Published: Monday, 12/25/2000

Electrical problem is blamed for Pine Place apartment fire

Toledo fire officials said a short circuit in the attic above an apartment started a fire at the Pine Place apartments Saturday that caused some residents to scurry into freezing temperatures for safety.

Fire officials yesterday estimated damage at $300,000 at the three-story, 24-unit building at 2677 Tremainsville Road in West Toledo.

The fire started about 9:10 p.m. Saturday above the third-floor apartment occupied by Paul Kenninger.

The two-alarm fire wasn't under control until two hours later because firefighters were hampered by temperatures in the low 20s and strong winds.

Most of the damage was contained to the third floor, with smoke and water damage to the floors below, fire officials said.

Kristen Cajka, a spokeswoman for the Greater Toledo Chapter of the American Red Cross, said seven people from the apartment complex received lodging vouchers. She said six others assisted by the Red Cross Saturday night were staying with relatives or friends.

Ms. Cajka said the Red Cross could spend up to $10,000 assisting those left homeless from the apartment fire.



Guidelines: Please keep your comments smart and civil. Don't attack other readers personally, and keep your language decent. If a comment violates these standards or our privacy statement or visitor's agreement, click the "X" in the upper right corner of the comment box to report abuse. To post comments, you must be a Facebook member. To find out more, please visit the FAQ.