Wednesday, September 02, 2015
Current Weather
Loading Current Weather....
Published: Sunday, 1/14/2001

Firefighter hurt in blaze started by candle

A firefighter was hurt in a fire in the 900 block of Underwood, near Avondale Avenue, last night.

The fire was started by a candle and did an estimated $40,000 damage to the house, Battalion Chief Luis Santiago said.

Firefighter Tom Gaston, 43, was treated at St. Vincent Mercy Medical Center.

Firefighters were called to the blaze at 8:18 p.m.

The home's occupant, Jenny Carrington, and six children were not at home when the fire started.

Recommended for You

Guidelines: Please keep your comments smart and civil. Don't attack other readers personally, and keep your language decent. If a comment violates these standards or our privacy statement or visitor's agreement, click the "X" in the upper right corner of the comment box to report abuse. To post comments, you must be a Facebook member. To find out more, please visit the FAQ.