A fire that started when a 9-year-old boy accidentally ignited bed linens caused an estimated $25,000 damage yesterday to a home at 506 Mulberry St. in North Toledo, fire officials said.
All eight occupants of the two-story, wood-frame house - Wilburn Slover, Jr., a woman, and six children, whose names were not available - escaped unhurt. Fire crews were dispatched at 11:17 a.m., Fire Capt. Jim Marciniak said.
The fire started in a second-floor bedroom where the 9-year-old boy, used a lighter to look for his shoes under the bed.
The blaze quickly spread up a wall to the attic, and then to the roof, Captain Marciniak said.
The fire was extinguished by 2:26 p.m. before it could spread to the first floor.
The first floor was damaged by water, Battalion Fire Chief Tony Gregory said.
Guidelines: Please keep your comments smart and civil. Don't attack other readers personally, and keep your language decent. Comments that violate these standards, or our privacy statement or visitor's agreement, are subject to being removed and commenters are subject to being banned. To post comments, you must be a registered user on toledoblade.com. To find out more, please visit the FAQ.