Sunday, August 02, 2015
Current Weather
Loading Current Weather....
Published: Tuesday, 3/6/2001

Vacant house destroyed by fire called suspicious

A suspicious fire destroyed a vacant house at 519 Maumee Ave. yesterday, the second blaze to hit the structure since January.

The fire started about 8:50 a.m. in the one-story house owned by Edward McIntosh, said Dale Pelz, of the fire investigation unit.

Investigators have not been able to determine where or how the fire started because of damage sustained from the previous blaze, which caused about $30,000 damage, he said.

Mr. Pelz said the city was asked to tear down the building, which was used as a rental unit and was not insured. The fire Jan. 16 was caused by a mechanical malfunction of a gas coupling behind a stove, Mr. Pelz said.

Recommended for You

Guidelines: Please keep your comments smart and civil. Don't attack other readers personally, and keep your language decent. If a comment violates these standards or our privacy statement or visitor's agreement, click the "X" in the upper right corner of the comment box to report abuse. To post comments, you must be a Facebook member. To find out more, please visit the FAQ.