An electrical fire caused about $40,000 damage yesterday to two apartments inside a house at 619-621 Arcadia Ave., authorities said.
The blaze started about 9 a.m. near an electrical junction box in the basement of the two-story house. Flames spread through wiring and deteriorated wood, through first floor joists, into the walls, and up to the roof, Dale Pelz, of the fire investigation unit, said.
Geneva Simmons, 22, and Shuntez Broughton, 24, were awakened by the smell of smoke in their rented, second-floor apartment. They saw smoke and fled. The downstairs renters, Latrice McKay and her two school-age children, were not home when the fire started, Mr. Pelz said.
Tony Kynard owns the house, which was insured. There were no smoke detectors in the residence, Mr. Pelz said.
Guidelines: Please keep your comments smart and civil. Don't attack other readers personally, and keep your language decent. Comments that violate these standards, or our privacy statement or visitor's agreement, are subject to being removed and commenters are subject to being banned. To post comments, you must be a registered user on toledoblade.com. To find out more, please visit the FAQ.