A fire of suspicious origin caused about $4,000 damage yesterday to a two-story house at 2472 Lawrence Ave., authorities said.
The fire started about 3:50 p.m. in a stairwell leading from the kitchen to the basement. After the occupants fled, one of them, using a bucket and water from a puddle in the street, threw water onto the fire through a side door, Battalion Fire Chief Frank Keating said.
The house is owned by Mary Jordan, who lives there with her daughter and grandchildren. The daughter's fianc tried to put out the blaze.
The family is staying with relatives. The house was not insured.
Smoke detectors were found in the house, but none was installed and operating, the chief said.
Guidelines: Please keep your comments smart and civil. Don't attack other readers personally, and keep your language decent. Comments that violate these standards, or our privacy statement or visitor's agreement, are subject to being removed and commenters are subject to being banned. To post comments, you must be a registered user on toledoblade.com. To find out more, please visit the FAQ.