Loading…
Sunday, December 28, 2014
Current Weather
Loading Current Weather....
Published: Tuesday, 4/3/2001

2 blazes damage Toledo houses

Fire caused about $25,000 damage yesterday to two houses in the city and forced two families from their homes.

A discarded cigarette is believed to have started a fire at 609 Maumee Ave. about 12:30 p.m. The blaze at the 11/2-story house caused $10,000 damage.

It started in a couch in the living room, Mike Sbrocchi of the fire investigation unit said.

The house is owned by Tylor Geiner of Walbridge. It is insured. An unidentified woman and her three children rent the house; they were moving out and had left about 30 minutes before the fire started, a report said. A neighbor reported the fire, Mr. Sbrocchi said.

An electrical fire caused about $15,000 damage to a two-story house at 437 Prescott St. about 11:30 a.m. The blaze started in a new light fixture in a first-floor bathroom, Dale Pelz of the fire investigation unit said.

Sonya Kimble, 35, her husband, Shean Brooks, 29, and her children, ages 11, 13, 15, and 16, rent the house. They have renter's insurance. The building is owned by Rebecca and Douglas Coffey of Monroe.

No one was home when the fire started. A passer-by saw it and called 911 on a cell phone. The house had no smoke detectors, Mr. Pelz said.



Guidelines: Please keep your comments smart and civil. Don't attack other readers personally, and keep your language decent. If a comment violates these standards or our privacy statement or visitor's agreement, click the "X" in the upper right corner of the comment box to report abuse. To post comments, you must be a Facebook member. To find out more, please visit the FAQ.