Loading…
Tuesday, July 29, 2014
Current Weather
Loading Current Weather....
Published: Saturday, 4/7/2001

7 escape injury after house catches fire

A father and his six young children escaped a house fire yesterday that started when one of the children was playing with a cigarette lighter, authorities said.

The two-story rental house, 224 Maryland Ave., sustained $20,000 damage during the accidental fire about 8:10 a.m., said Dale Pelz of the fire investigation unit.

The fire started in the second-floor bedroom of the home, rented by Brian and Amy Morales, when one of the children was playing with the lighter in an open closet. The flames ignited clothing, Mr. Pelz said.

The family is staying with relatives. The house is owned by Betty Andrews of Toledo.



Guidelines: Please keep your comments smart and civil. Don't attack other readers personally, and keep your language decent. If a comment violates these standards or our privacy statement or visitor's agreement, click the "X" in the upper right corner of the comment box to report abuse. To post comments, you must be a Facebook member. To find out more, please visit the FAQ.