Loading…
Wednesday, July 30, 2014
Current Weather
Loading Current Weather....
Published: Tuesday, 11/27/2001

Teen blamed for house fire that does $80,000 damage

A teenage girl playing with a lighter and rubbing alcohol started an accidental fire that caused about $80,000 damage at a house at 1844 Loxley Rd., Toledo fire officials said.

The blaze started in the living room of a two-story dwelling at 5:35 p.m. Sunday. The bottle of alcohol, which was on fire, was on a table. It spilled, and flames spread to the floor. The occupants tried to put out the fire with cushions from a couch but were unsuccessful. When the fire spread to the couch, the occupants left and called 911, said Michael Smith of the Toledo fire investigation unit.

One of the occupants, Sue Stief, 42, rents the house. Her niece and three teenage friends were inside when the fire started.

The house is owned by John Scouten of Toledo. The building is insured, but Ms. Stief did not have renter's insurance.



Guidelines: Please keep your comments smart and civil. Don't attack other readers personally, and keep your language decent. If a comment violates these standards or our privacy statement or visitor's agreement, click the "X" in the upper right corner of the comment box to report abuse. To post comments, you must be a Facebook member. To find out more, please visit the FAQ.