Loading…
Friday, November 21, 2014
Current Weather
Loading Current Weather....
Published: Tuesday, 5/7/2002

Mattress fire is blamed on children with lighter

Children playing with a cigarette lighter yesterday ignited a mattress in an upstairs bedroom and caused about $10,000 damage to their apartment in Brand Whitlock Homes.

Firefighters were sent to the Lucas Metropolitan Housing Authority complex, a block off Division Street, near Nebraska Avenue, shortly after 4 p.m.

Battalion Fire Chief Jerry Abair said Teresa D. Abernathy and her three children, ages 12, 9, 4, were at home in Unit 111 when the fire started. He said all made it out of the three-bedroom unit safely.



Guidelines: Please keep your comments smart and civil. Don't attack other readers personally, and keep your language decent. If a comment violates these standards or our privacy statement or visitor's agreement, click the "X" in the upper right corner of the comment box to report abuse. To post comments, you must be a Facebook member. To find out more, please visit the FAQ.