Loading…
Wednesday, November 26, 2014
Current Weather
Loading Current Weather....
Published: Monday, 11/11/2002

Accidental fire kills family's pet bird

An accidental fire yesterday caused about $35,000 damage to a two-story house at 3580 Doyle St. and killed a pet bird.

The electrical fire started in the basement at or near an upright freezer that was plugged in with an extension cord that was too long, Toledo fire investigator Dale Pelz said.

The occupants, James and Kelli Lykins and their three teenage children, were at church when the fire was reported at 9:37 a.m.

Firefighters and a neighbor helped three dogs and a cat escape the blaze. Mr. Pelz said paramedics saved the cat by giving it oxygen. A relative said the family's cockatiel died.



Guidelines: Please keep your comments smart and civil. Don't attack other readers personally, and keep your language decent. If a comment violates these standards or our privacy statement or visitor's agreement, click the "X" in the upper right corner of the comment box to report abuse. To post comments, you must be a Facebook member. To find out more, please visit the FAQ.