Loading…
Monday, September 01, 2014
Current Weather
Loading Current Weather....
Published: Tuesday, 3/25/2003

South Toledo house fire does $100,000 damage

An accidental fire yesterday at a two-story house at 2741 Kingsford Dr. caused about $100,000 damage and displaced a couple and their three children.

The fire, which began in the first-floor living room, appears to have been started by a discarded candle, Toledo fire Investigator Michael Smith said. He said the fire began on an end table near a sofa.

The owner, Alfred Sprouse, was reading when he heard the smoke detector and popping noises. He tried to extinguish the flames but couldn't. He fled to a neighbor's house and called 911 about 2:45 p.m., Battalion Fire Chief Brian Byrd said.

Mr. Sprouse was treated at the scene for minor burns to his hands. Some of his hair was singed when he tried to put out the fire.

Toledo police blocked Kingsford from South Detroit Avenue to Beverly Drive.



Guidelines: Please keep your comments smart and civil. Don't attack other readers personally, and keep your language decent. If a comment violates these standards or our privacy statement or visitor's agreement, click the "X" in the upper right corner of the comment box to report abuse. To post comments, you must be a Facebook member. To find out more, please visit the FAQ.