Loading…
Monday, December 22, 2014
Current Weather
Loading Current Weather....
Published: Thursday, 7/17/2003

Grain-conveyor blaze causes $100,000 damage

An overheated conveyor belt caught fire yesterday at the Hansen-Mueller Co. grain storage facility, 1800 Water St., sending thick black smoke billowing skyward and causing an estimated $100,000 damage to the outside conveyor system, authorities said.

The conveyor moving grain into the facility caught fire about 6 a.m. All workers escaped unharmed by the time fire crews arrived at the scene at 6:03 p.m., Battalion Fire Chief Brian Byrd said.

Four engines, a ladder truck, and a rescue squad had the fire under control within 20 minutes before the fire could spread to the storage facility. A malfunctioning yard water hydrant system hampered firefighters' efforts. A city water hydrant about 100 yards away was used, Chief Byrd said.

The fire damage was contained to the conveyor system outside the facility, the chief said.



Guidelines: Please keep your comments smart and civil. Don't attack other readers personally, and keep your language decent. If a comment violates these standards or our privacy statement or visitor's agreement, click the "X" in the upper right corner of the comment box to report abuse. To post comments, you must be a Facebook member. To find out more, please visit the FAQ.