Loading…
Friday, August 01, 2014
Current Weather
Loading Current Weather....
Published: Tuesday, 11/11/2003

Fire forces family of 3 from home

A fire that appeared to originate near a living room fireplace last night forced a Springfield Township family to flee their home at 9485 Old State Line Rd.

District Fire Chief George DeCair said Robert Grabowski heard a smoke detector go off about 8:45 p.m. and found smoke coming from a wall in his living room. A fire had been burning in the fireplace.

He got his wife, Debra, and their 4-year-old child out and went back in to try to extinguish the blaze before calling the fire department, Chief DeCair said.

Firefighters needed about 25 minutes to bring the blaze under control. It was confined to the living room, a portion of the kitchen, and an adjoining room.

Mr. Grabowski told firefighters the fireplace chimney was cleaned several months ago.

The cause of the fire remains under investigation.



Guidelines: Please keep your comments smart and civil. Don't attack other readers personally, and keep your language decent. If a comment violates these standards or our privacy statement or visitor's agreement, click the "X" in the upper right corner of the comment box to report abuse. To post comments, you must be a Facebook member. To find out more, please visit the FAQ.