A Toledo man was arrested after his 7-month-old daughter received second-degree burns when she was scalded by hot water while he was bathing her in the kitchen sink.
Ryan J. Boudreau, 24, of 226 Kenilworth Ave., was charged with felony child endangering. He was being held in the Lucas County jail in lieu of $75,000 bond after arraignment yesterday in Toledo Municipal Court.
His daughter, Ryah Boudreau, was in fair condition at Mercy Children's Hospital, which is located inside St. Vincent Mercy Medical Center. She and a 2-year-old brother will be placed in the care of their mother, Jameelah Frazier, authorities said.
Both parents declined interviews.
According to court records, the suspect admitted leaving Ryah in the sink at his home with the water on. The water became very hot and came into contact with Ryah, burning her back and buttocks.
Toledo police Lt. Bill Moton said Ryah also suffered a burn on the top of her foot. Her father said he was trying to bathe her Tuesday when the phone rang. He left for a few seconds to answer the phone and said Ryah must have hit the hot water, the lieutenant said.
However, the pattern of her burns was not consistent with his story, the lieutenant said.
Ryah was in her father's care while her mother was working. Authorities learned of the burns Wednesday.
Lucas County Children Services also is investigating, spokesman Rod Brandt said. He said the agency had no prior contact with the family.
Court records indicate the suspect has been at his current address and in Lucas County for only a month. He previously lived in Illinois and California.
Mr. Brandt said it doesn't take much for a baby or young child's delicate skin to burn.
"Test the water before putting a child in, and never leave the child unattended," he said.37.55602 -84.08435