A Monclova Township man was hurt seriously yesterday when he was caught in a flash fire inside his garage at 9985 Maumee Western Rd., authorities said.
Tony Crippen escaped from the blaze about 2:30 p.m. A passing motorist called authorities.
Mr. Crippen, who was flown by helicopter to St. Vincent Mercy Medical Center for treatment of burns and smoke inhalation, was listed in critical condition last night, a hospital spokesman said.
Investigators believe the blaze started when a combustible liquid stored in the garage became overheated by a wood-burning stove. Firefighters extinguished the blaze in about five minutes. Damage was limited to the detached garage at the Crippen home, Monclova Township Fire Chief Kevin Bernhard said.
No damage estimate was available last night.