Loading…
Friday, November 28, 2014
Current Weather
Loading Current Weather....
Published: Thursday, 3/10/2005

Wicker baskets in oven cause apartment fire

A woman yesterday accidentally turned on an oven she was using to store wicker baskets, causing a fire at the Lakewoods Apartments independent living facility in South Toledo, a battalion fire chief said.

As a result, another woman, whose name was not released, suffered smoke inhalation and was treated at the scene, Chief Brian Byrd said.

Lucille Hiller, who lives in an apartment on the third floor of the six-story brick building at 2125 Arlington Ave., was in the kitchen about 5:40 p.m. when she accidentally bumped into the stove, turning it on. By the time fire crews arrived shortly after the fire was reported at 5:43 p.m., Ms. Hiller and several other tenants, including the woman who inhaled smoke, escaped to the first-floor lobby, Chief Byrd said.

Firefighters extinguished the blaze within 15 minutes. Fire damage was confined to the kitchen, but smoke filled the third floor. It was ventilated before the tenants were allowed back into their apartments. Damage was estimated at $5,000, Chief Byrd said.



Guidelines: Please keep your comments smart and civil. Don't attack other readers personally, and keep your language decent. If a comment violates these standards or our privacy statement or visitor's agreement, click the "X" in the upper right corner of the comment box to report abuse. To post comments, you must be a Facebook member. To find out more, please visit the FAQ.