Loading…
Wednesday, August 20, 2014
Current Weather
Loading Current Weather....
Published: Friday, 3/18/2005

Mother and 4 children flee fire in home

What started as a grease fire last night at 3312 Cherry St. near Cambridge Street left a woman and her four children homeless and caused $25,000 damage to the house and its contents, fire officials said.

Tina Bean and her four children, the occupants of the two-story, wood-frame house, escaped unhurt by the time fire crews arrived about 7:40 p.m. and found fire in the kitchen on the first floor, Battalion Fire Chief Luis Santiago said.

The blaze started when grease in a frying pan the woman's teenage son was using to deep-fry some food caught fire and spilled from the pan, Chief Santiago said.

Firefighters had the fire under control within 15 minutes, before it could spread beyond the kitchen, the chief said.

The Red Cross was assisting the family.



Guidelines: Please keep your comments smart and civil. Don't attack other readers personally, and keep your language decent. If a comment violates these standards or our privacy statement or visitor's agreement, click the "X" in the upper right corner of the comment box to report abuse. To post comments, you must be a Facebook member. To find out more, please visit the FAQ.