Loading…
Saturday, December 20, 2014
Current Weather
Loading Current Weather....
Published: Friday, 4/8/2005

8 treated after smoke fills hallway in nursing center

GREEN SPRINGS, Ohio - Eight people were treated for smoke inhalation after an air-conditioning unit malfunctioned at the St. Francis Health Care Centre, a facility official said yesterday.

Green Springs Fire Chief Greg Lowe said a short in the wall unit in a second-floor room caused a hallway to fill with smoke Wednesday night.

Green Springs firefighters and EMS crews from several area departments were sent to the nursing facility about 10:40 p.m. Chief Lowe said damage was minimal. No damage estimate was available.

"Things turned out real good," the chief said. "It could have been a lot worse."

Jean Smith, director of business development for St. Francis, said staff members evacuated residents from the affected floor and quickly isolated the wing from the rest of the building. She said three staff members and five patients were treated at hospitals in Bellevue, Fremont, and Tiffin.



Guidelines: Please keep your comments smart and civil. Don't attack other readers personally, and keep your language decent. If a comment violates these standards or our privacy statement or visitor's agreement, click the "X" in the upper right corner of the comment box to report abuse. To post comments, you must be a Facebook member. To find out more, please visit the FAQ.

Points of Interest