MILAN, Mich. A family of six was burned out of its home and lost most of its possessions yesterday as a result of a $175,000 fire in Monroe County s London Township.
Chief Bob Burch of the nearby Milan Township Fire Department the department which handled the blaze estimated the amount of the loss, saying it could be even been more. He said the fire destroyed a three-bedroom, single-story ranch house at 10175 Plank Rd. as well as two vehicles. Two other vehicles were damaged.
Nothing s salvageable, the chief said.
Owner Teresa Hughes and her four children were home about 10 a.m. when the fire started in the rear of the house, possibly in the kitchen or utility room. Her husband was away in Jackson, Mich.
Most of the children were believed to be outdoors. One of the them, working from a side yard trailer, yelled to alert his mother to the smoke and make sure she got out, Chief Burch said.
Firefighters were on the scene for hours. The blaze was believed to have been accidental, but the cause was not immediately known, the chief said.
Guidelines: Please keep your comments smart and civil. Don't attack other readers personally, and keep your language decent. Comments that violate these standards, or our privacy statement or visitor's agreement, are subject to being removed and commenters are subject to being banned. To post comments, you must be a registered user on toledoblade.com. To find out more, please visit the FAQ.