Friday, October 09, 2015
Current Weather
Loading Current Weather....
Published: Friday, 9/2/2005

Fire in Sandusky leaves at least dozen homeless

SANDUSKY At least a dozen residents of a Sandusky apartment building were left homeless by a fire that heavily damaged the wood-frame structure on Washington Street, a fire official said yesterday.

Firefighters were called to 817 West Washington St. at 5:32 p.m. Wednesday and found heavy smoke coming from the roof of the two-story building, Sandusky fire Capt. Bill Mohr said. The blaze started in the attic, possibly because of a possible electrical problem, and spread to an attached apartment unit at 813 West Washington.

About 35 firefighters from Sandusky, Margaretta Township, and Perkins Township brought the blaze under control in about 40 minutes but did not finish dousing the fire until about 9:30 p.m., Captain Mohr said.

He estimated damage to the structure and its contents at $90,000 and said an inspection would be required to determine if the building can be salvaged. All of the building s occupants escaped safely and were relocated to local motels.

Recommended for You

Guidelines: Please keep your comments smart and civil. Don't attack other readers personally, and keep your language decent. If a comment violates these standards or our privacy statement or visitor's agreement, click the "X" in the upper right corner of the comment box to report abuse. To post comments, you must be a Facebook member. To find out more, please visit the FAQ.