Loading…
Sunday, August 31, 2014
Current Weather
Loading Current Weather....
Published: Friday, 10/7/2005

Remains of fire reignite, damaging apartment attic

The smoldering remains of a Wednesday night kitchen fire in an apartment at 3610 North Erie St. caused insulation in the attic of the building to catch fire yesterday morning, fire officials said.

About 7 a.m., a blaze rekindled in the Regina Manor apartment building attic and caused an additional $40,000 damage. The kitchen vents in the building were routed into the attic and not through the roof, which could have led to the second fire, Battalion Fire Chief Bill Sulewski said.

The first fire started about 8:-30 p.m. Wednesday when something on the rear burner of a gas stove in the first-floor unit of the two-story building caught fire. It spread throughout the kitchen and caused $45,000 damage.



Guidelines: Please keep your comments smart and civil. Don't attack other readers personally, and keep your language decent. If a comment violates these standards or our privacy statement or visitor's agreement, click the "X" in the upper right corner of the comment box to report abuse. To post comments, you must be a Facebook member. To find out more, please visit the FAQ.