A two-alarm fire in a commercial building in South Toledo caused about $100,000 in damage and left the building owner, who lived in an upstairs apartment, homeless.
Battalion Chief Eric Renzhofer said firefighters received a call of a fire at the This N That shop, 1735 Arlington Ave., at 5:23 a.m., and trucks arrived there three minutes later.
Chief Renzhofer said fire officials believe the blaze started in an empty apartment upstairs.
He said the building was heavily damaged. Firefighters snuffed the blaze in about 15 minutes but stayed on the scene most of the day putting out hot spots, Chief Renzhofer said.
He said Brent May, the owner of the building who lived in an upstairs apartment, was not home at the time of the fire that officials are calling suspicious.
Guidelines: Please keep your comments smart and civil. Don't attack other readers personally, and keep your language decent. Comments that violate these standards, or our privacy statement or visitor's agreement, are subject to being removed and commenters are subject to being banned. To post comments, you must be a registered user on toledoblade.com. To find out more, please visit the FAQ.