Loading…
Monday, December 22, 2014
Current Weather
Loading Current Weather....
Published: Wednesday, 11/2/2005

Faulty appliance blamed for E. Streicher St. blaze

A faulty kitchen appliance caused about $25,000 damage yesterday to a rental house at 350 East Streicher St., authorities said.

The blaze started about 3 p.m. from either a microwave oven or toaster that were plugged into the same electrical outlet and placed on top of a clothes dryer in the kitchen of the home, authorities said.

Nobody was home at the time, but an occupant said she used both appliances earlier in the day. The fire spread up the wall and into the attic that had been converted into a bedroom. The rest of the two-bedroom home had smoke and heat damage, authorities said.

The American Red Cross was assisting the home s six residents with temporary housing.



Guidelines: Please keep your comments smart and civil. Don't attack other readers personally, and keep your language decent. If a comment violates these standards or our privacy statement or visitor's agreement, click the "X" in the upper right corner of the comment box to report abuse. To post comments, you must be a Facebook member. To find out more, please visit the FAQ.