Loading…
Thursday, December 18, 2014
Current Weather
Loading Current Weather....
Published: Tuesday, 7/25/2006

Tot causes $10,000 fire, will be given counseling

A 4-year-old boy playing with a lighter sparked a fire yesterday that caused $10,000 damage to a 1 -story duplex in North Toledo, fire investigators said.

The boy set his bed on fire just before noon, and the blaze damaged the first-floor bedroom and kitchen of 3214 Maple St., Investigator Michael Smith said. He said the boy and his mother will attend a program for juvenile fire-starters.

Mr. Smith said a baby-sitter smelled smoke and the smoke detector sounded. The baby-sitter got six children out of the home. Mr. Smith said the mother was at the store at the time. He said the home is occupied by Marie Byrd and owned by JMS Holdings LLC. The Greater Toledo Area Chapter of the American Red Cross is helping two adults and five children with food, clothing, and shelter, spokesman Kristen Cajka said.



Guidelines: Please keep your comments smart and civil. Don't attack other readers personally, and keep your language decent. If a comment violates these standards or our privacy statement or visitor's agreement, click the "X" in the upper right corner of the comment box to report abuse. To post comments, you must be a Facebook member. To find out more, please visit the FAQ.