FLAT ROCK, Mich. - The St. Vincent de Paul Society is seeking donations and referring clients to other thrift-store locations after a Friday afternoon fire destroyed its 15,000-square-foot facility here, just north of the Monroe County line.
Nobody was hurt in the blaze, but all items in the store were lost to fire or water damage.
The Archdiocese of Detroit issued an advisory yesterday welcoming donations to the nine remaining stores in southeast Michigan to absorb the thousands of customers and hundreds of referrals the Flat Rock store handled annually.
The store sold clothes, furnishings, housewares, and electronics.
The fire was reported about 3:45 p.m. at the store on North Telegraph Road. A damage estimate was not available, but authorities said the building was destroyed.
Guidelines: Please keep your comments smart and civil. Don't attack other readers personally, and keep your language decent. Comments that violate these standards, or our privacy statement or visitor's agreement, are subject to being removed and commenters are subject to being banned. To post comments, you must be a registered user on toledoblade.com. To find out more, please visit the FAQ.