Choking smoke alerted a Perrysburg Heights couple to a fire from which they escaped unharmed, but that destroyed their one-story modular home early yesterday morning.
Mary Ann and Donald Black were sleeping in the home at 12350 Roachton Rd., east of State Rt. 25, when the fire began shortly before 2 a.m., said Tom Brice, Perrysburg Township deputy fire chief.
Mrs. Black began choking from the smoke, which awakened the couple and led them to flee the house, the deputy chief said.
Flames had consumed the garage and about half the house before firefighters arrived, Deputy Chief Brice said, and strong winds and biting cold from freezing rain made conditions difficult as crews fought to keep the fire from spreading to a neighboring home.
The cause of the blaze and a damage estimate were not immediately available, the deputy chief said.
Guidelines: Please keep your comments smart and civil. Don't attack other readers personally, and keep your language decent. Comments that violate these standards, or our privacy statement or visitor's agreement, are subject to being removed and commenters are subject to being banned. To post comments, you must be a registered user on toledoblade.com. To find out more, please visit the FAQ.