Firefighters battle the blaze at 729 Boalt Street. Watch firefighters <a href=http://www.toledoblade.com/assets/mpg/TO1326336.MPG><b>battle the South Toledo fire</b></a>.
A two-alarm fire at a house in South Toledo this morning started on a mattress and is being investigated as an accidental blaze, a fire investigator said.
The two-story house at 729 Boalt St. is being razed after it was destroyed by the fire, reported about 7:10 a.m. Two adjacent houses, 725 Boalt and 731 Boalt, sustained exposure damage from the fire, Investigator Andre Tiggs said.
He said the fire began in a bedroom in the lower unit of 729 Boalt. The occupants were sleeping when one awakened to coughing from the smoke and the other felt hot. They found the mattress on which they were sleeping on fire, Mr. Tiggs said.
They tried to put out the fire with water and an extinguisher, but fled when they were unable to do so. They called 911 to report the blaze. The resident in the upper unit was not home at the time of the fire, Mr. Tiggs said.
No one was hurt. The Greater Toledo Chapter of the American Red Cross is assisting the residents of 729 Boalt, the investigator said.
Watch firefighters battle the South Toledo fire.
Read more in later editions of The Blade and toledoblade.com.
Guidelines: Please keep your comments smart and civil. Don't attack other readers personally, and keep your language decent. Comments that violate these standards, or our privacy statement or visitor's agreement, are subject to being removed and commenters are subject to being banned. To post comments, you must be a registered user on toledoblade.com. To find out more, please visit the FAQ.