MONROE - While Monroe County sheriff's deputies are still investigating the bomb threat last month at Monroe High School, two county high school students earlier this week admitted to two separate bomb-threat incidents.
Brock Rigel, 18, of Temperance avoided the jury trial that was scheduled for yesterday in Monroe County Circuit Court by accepting a plea agreement Tuesday offered by the county prosecutor's office.
Mr. Rigel pleaded guilty to making a false bomb threat in November at Bedford High School. Conviction on the charge carries a maximum four-year prison term.
He also will have to pay restitution to the school and the sheriff's and the prosecutor's offices.
Mr. Rigel, who was expelled from the high school in December and is free on $1,000 bond, admitted to typing a threat on a computer during computer class. The note began by stating "I hate this school" and concluded by alluding to a bomb going off.
Prosecutor William Paul Nichols said the prosecutor's office is recommending Mr. Rigel serve only six months in jail and pay no more than $1,000 in restitution.
A 15-year-old girl, whose name will not be released because she is a juvenile, also reached a plea agreement with the prosecutor's office on Monday.
The former Jefferson High School freshman, who also has been expelled, admitted to scrawling a bomb threat last month on a high school wall in the girl's restroom.
Mr. Nichols said his office is recommending the girl spend the summer at the Monroe County Youth Center and pay about $1,000 in restitution.