Sunday, May 01, 2016
Current Weather
Loading Current Weather....
Published: Saturday, 6/16/2007

Fire displaces family of 10 on Hamilton Street

A fire yesterday displaced a family of 10 from their central Toledo home and caused about $15,000 damage to the structure, authorities said.

The blaze at 1017 Hamilton St. began in the basement about 10 a.m. and spread to the kitchen on the first floor, Battalion Fire Chief Ora Pettaway said.

The cause of the fire was faulty wiring. The 1 -story house was occupied when the blaze occurred. The fire was contained to the kitchen, the chief said.

He said the occupant was Howard Page and his family. The owner of the house is Edward Coleman of Toledo.

The Greater Toledo Area Chapter of the American Red Cross is helping the family, the majority of whom are children, with food and lodging. They will be staying in a hotel for three nights, spokesman Jodie Tienvieri said.

Recommended for You

Guidelines: Please keep your comments smart and civil. Don't attack other readers personally, and keep your language decent. If a comment violates these standards or our privacy statement or visitor's agreement, click the "X" in the upper right corner of the comment box to report abuse. To post comments, you must be a Facebook member. To find out more, please visit the FAQ.