A look at the past of Canton police officer Bobby Cutts Jr., charged with the deaths of his pregnant girlfriend and the nearly full-term fetus she was carrying:
- Cutts accused of breaking into the home of ex-girlfriend Nikki Giavasis, the mother of his first daughter while Giavasis was inside with former NBA player Shawn Kemp of the Cleveland Cavaliers. Cutts pleads no contest to a disorderly conduct charge and is sentenced to three years' probation.
- Cutts faces criminal charges after his police supervisors alleged he had given his gun to a cousin with a criminal background. Cutts acquitted and an arbitrator orders Canton to rehire him with back pay over the police department's objections.
- March 13: Cutts shoots at and wounds a suspect driving a car toward him after the suspect tried to back into a second officer. Cutts investigated and then cleared by the Internal Affairs division of the Canton Police Department that found the shooting justified.
- May 20: Cutts receives letter of reprimand for covering the mouth of an arrest suspect with his hand after the suspect used a racial slur against Cutts, who is black.
- Jan. 17: A Los County Superior Court judge grants a request by Giavasis to temporarily suspend visitation rights and telephone and e-mail contact between Cutts and his 9-year-old daughter, citing "evidence of physical and emotional abuse perpetrated on the child."
- June 24: Cutts charged in Canton Municipal Court with murder in the deaths of girlfriend Jessie Davis and her nearly full-term girl.
- June 25: Cutts has initial court hearing and is suspended without pay from the Canton Police Department.
Read more in later editions of The Blade and toledoblade.com
Guidelines: Please keep your comments smart and civil. Don't attack other readers personally, and keep your language decent. Comments that violate these standards, or our privacy statement or visitor's agreement, are subject to being removed and commenters are subject to being banned. To post comments, you must be a registered user on toledoblade.com. To find out more, please visit the FAQ.