A look at the past of Canton police officer Bobby Cutts Jr., charged with the deaths of his pregnant girlfriend and the nearly full-term fetus she was carrying:
- Cutts accused of breaking into the home of ex-girlfriend Nikki Giavasis, the mother of his first daughter while Giavasis was inside with former NBA player Shawn Kemp of the Cleveland Cavaliers. Cutts pleads no contest to a disorderly conduct charge and is sentenced to three years' probation.
- Cutts faces criminal charges after his police supervisors alleged he had given his gun to a cousin with a criminal background. Cutts acquitted and an arbitrator orders Canton to rehire him with back pay over the police department's objections.
- March 13: Cutts shoots at and wounds a suspect driving a car toward him after the suspect tried to back into a second officer. Cutts investigated and then cleared by the Internal Affairs division of the Canton Police Department that found the shooting justified.
- May 20: Cutts receives letter of reprimand for covering the mouth of an arrest suspect with his hand after the suspect used a racial slur against Cutts, who is black.
- Jan. 17: A Los County Superior Court judge grants a request by Giavasis to temporarily suspend visitation rights and telephone and e-mail contact between Cutts and his 9-year-old daughter, citing "evidence of physical and emotional abuse perpetrated on the child."
- June 24: Cutts charged in Canton Municipal Court with murder in the deaths of girlfriend Jessie Davis and her nearly full-term girl.
- June 25: Cutts has initial court hearing and is suspended without pay from the Canton Police Department.
Read more in later editions of The Blade and toledoblade.com