Loading…
Friday, August 29, 2014
Current Weather
Loading Current Weather....
Published: Saturday, 6/30/2007

Man injured in East Toledo fire

BLADE STAFF

An elderly man who uses oxygen tanks for breathing was taken to St. Charles Memorial Hospital for smoke inhalation after a fire ravaged his East Toledo home this afternoon, Toledo Fire Department officials said.

Donald Lugabihl was alerted to the fire at 1310 Idaho St. by neighbors shortly after 2 p.m. and was taken to safety before fire crews arrived.

Battalion Chief Brian Byrd said the man fell asleep in bed with a lit cigarette in his hand, starting the fire. Heavy smoke could be seen coming from the home when firefighters arrived. The blaze gutted the 1 1/2-story wood-framed home in a short time.

Fire Lt. Steve Starkloff said the oxygen tanks did not explode, which was a concern, but not a major concern. The fire was under control at 2:19 p.m.

Authorities said one of Mr. Lugabihl s two dogs died in the fire and the other couldn t be found. The damage estimates were not immediately known.

Read more in later editions of The Blade and toledoblade.com.



Guidelines: Please keep your comments smart and civil. Don't attack other readers personally, and keep your language decent. If a comment violates these standards or our privacy statement or visitor's agreement, click the "X" in the upper right corner of the comment box to report abuse. To post comments, you must be a Facebook member. To find out more, please visit the FAQ.