Loading…
Wednesday, August 20, 2014
Current Weather
Loading Current Weather....
Published: Sunday, 7/29/2007

Microwave fire prompts evacuation of some in motel

A handful of people staying in one section of a Motel 6 in South Toledo were evacuated for less than an hour yesterday evening as a precaution after food cooking in a microwave caused a small fire, Toledo Fire Lt. James Kaptur said.

The fire began around 6:35 p.m. inside a microwave in a first-floor room at the motel at 5335 Heatherdowns Blvd., just west of Reynolds Road. It then spread to some clothing on top of the microwave before it was extinguished and firefighters removed the microwave from the room, the lieutenant said.

There was some smoke and water damage inside the room, and no one was injured in the fire, the lieutenant said.

Whatever the cause, it was accidental, said Lieutenant Kaptur.

Bernice Anderson, 55, of Detroit was staying in the room that was damaged. He said he put a hamburger and fries both in their original packaging from a fast-food restaurant in the microwave, set the timer for three minutes, and then left to visit a nearby store.



Guidelines: Please keep your comments smart and civil. Don't attack other readers personally, and keep your language decent. If a comment violates these standards or our privacy statement or visitor's agreement, click the "X" in the upper right corner of the comment box to report abuse. To post comments, you must be a Facebook member. To find out more, please visit the FAQ.